Easy ways to spend less on heating
According to Direct Energy, homeowners can take these 7 steps to cut heating expenses by more than $700 in a year (based on an 1,860 square foot, 40 year-old home).
The tips and related annual savings include:
- Replace your furnace filter every three months, save $53 in wasted energy forcing air through a clogged filter.
- Seal leaks around doors, windows and exterior wall electrical outlets, save $56.20 by keeping the heat you pay for inside.
- Insulate your basement to prevent warm air escaping along joist cavities, save $99.30.
- Insulate your attic with a minimum of 12 inches of insulation (most homeowners have less than 12), save $61.40 by foiling heat escape.
- Lower your thermostat by two degrees, save $150 through the winter. You could even program your thermostat to drop by 5 degrees at night and heat up around 6am again to save even more.
- If your furnace is old, or needs frequent repairs, upgrade to a high efficiency furnace, $299.70. Yes, you will have to buy the furnace, but it will pay for itself in savings over the lifetime of the furnace, and then some.
- Clean ducts of dust and debris which helps your furnace work more efficiently.(tough to put a number on this one).
If you feel ambitious, you can do more!
Add a whole house humidifier or just room-based humidifiers. Humid air feels warmer, so you can set the thermostat even lower.
Don’t block out the sun with heavy window coverings. South facing windows contribute significant natural heat to your house during the day.
Run your ceiling fans clockwise so they push the heated air back down into the home and stop it from migrating away from the spaces your family uses.
Of course, don’t neglect furnace maintenance
Regular maintenance is the most important tactic to avert any costly repairs as your furnace gets older.
Maintenance can keep your furnace running efficiently as it ages and is your best defense against expensive, unexpected repairs.
Give us a call to schedule your annual maintenance visit, follow the tips above, and watch as you cut your heating bill by hundreds of dollars this year.